Welcome !

Search Community

Journal of Teacher Education

How Biden’s Agriculture Secretary Cashed In During The Trump

How Biden’s Agriculture Secretary Cashed In During The Trump

Postby Mini Xi, IV » July 26th, 2021, 11:23 pm

How Biden’s Agriculture Secretary Cashed In During The Trump Years

Tom Vilsack went straight from Obama’s cabinet to a big-money position at a trade organization. Then he won the lottery. (Literally!)

Tom Vilsack has spent more time as a cabinet official than anyone else over the last 12 years, serving as secretary of agriculture under both Obama and Biden. But during the four-year period that he was out of government, when Trump was in charge, Vilsack cashed in–leading a trade organization that called on his old department, taking advantage of farm subsidies and winning the lottery of a state he had once governed. Today, Vilsack is worth an estimated $4 million.

That’s a lot of money for a guy born in a Pittsburgh orphanage in 1950. Vilsack attended Hamilton College in upstate New York, where he met his future wife, Christie. After he got his law degree, they moved to her hometown, Mount Pleasant, Iowa, where Vilsack started practicing law. In one strange case, a client paid his attorney fee by handing Vilsack a farm. A spokesperson for the secretary says it was valued in 1992 at $192,000—a small fraction of what the property would ultimately be worth. pg

During this same era, Vilsack’s political career began to take off. He became mayor of Mount Pleasant in 1987, a state senator in 1993, then governor in 1999. In 2006, Vilsack launched a bid for the White House. His presidential run failed, but the eventual winner—Barack Obama—gave him a spot in the cabinet, where he remained for eight years.

While serving as agriculture secretary, Vilsack retained ownership of his farm, with approval from ethics officials. “Tom Vilsack was one of those guys that pretty much said to me—I may be paraphrasing, but not by much—‘Just tell me what I need to do, and I’m happy to do it,’” said Don Fox, who dealt with Vilsack as general counsel of the Office of Government Ethics at the time. “He was always very cooperative in terms of his ethics agreement and anything else we asked him to do.” The farm, which an outside operator has leased for years, continued to appreciate in value over time.
Mini Xi, IV
NO COMPANY/INSTITUTION

Re: How Biden’s Agriculture Secretary Cashed In During The T

Postby Adam Bruton, FSC » August 12th, 2021, 5:57 am

AACTE has a forum about the online community working. They are giving the Biden's agriculture secretary cashed in during the Trump. So it is easy to get thesis help to finish our college work on time. He became mayor of Mount Pleasant in 1987 with the cooperative agreement. Join it for more.
Adam Bruton, FSC
NO COMPANY/INSTITUTION

Return to Journal of Teacher Education

• In total there are 39 users online :: 1 registered, 0 hidden and 38 guests (based on users active over the past 5 minutes)
  • Most users ever online was 583 on January 15th, 2020, 9:38 am