Welcome !

Search Community

Holmes Scholars

Professional Development

Moderator: Ms. Whitney P. Watkins

Professional Development

Postby Shaywanna Harris » January 9th, 2017, 4:20 pm

Happy New Year Scholars!

This month I thought it would be a great time to discuss professional development. Specifically, presenting at and attending conferences. My first conference experience was when I went to Birmingham, AL to present at the Southern Association for Counselor Education and Supervision. I had been invited to present with a mentor of mine (and fellow Holmes Scholar--now Holmes Scholar Alum) who allowed me to present with her to gain experience. I was overwhelmed, nervous, scared, and my impostor syndrome was through the roof. However, I was exposed to what professional research presentations looked like from the presenter's perspective and I gained a sense of confidence in myself as a researcher and as a professional.

Have you presented at a conference yet? How was that experience for you? What are some things you'd like to share with Scholars who have not yet presented their research? If you are a Scholar that has not yet presented, what are some of your questions about presenting research?

Further, whether you have presented or have not yet presented your research at a conference, use the Holmes Scholars Research Poster Session as a venue through which you can gain experience presenting your research and receiving feedback on your scholarly activity! Proposals are due January 13th at 5pm. Follow this link to complete the proposal!
https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIp ... Q/viewform
Shaywanna Harris
University of Central Florida

Return to Holmes Scholars

• In total there are 3 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 3 guests (based on users active over the past 5 minutes)
  • Most users ever online was 175 on April 24th, 2014, 1:58 pm