Welcome !

Search Community

Holmes Scholars

October Research Discussion

Moderator: Ms. Whitney P. Watkins

October Research Discussion

Postby Shaywanna Harris » October 4th, 2016, 2:17 pm

Hello scholars!

This month, for the research discussion we decided to discuss the dissertation process. It's an intimidating, daunting, yet extremely rewarding process that we'll all go through. So, let's talk about our process! Let's use this discussion thread to update one another on where we are in the dissertation process, challenges we're facing, and also solicit advice from other scholars. We're all in varying places in our programs and each of us can help and support one another.

Happy dissertating!!! :D
Shaywanna Harris
University of Central Florida

Re: October Research Discussion

Postby Shaywanna Harris » October 4th, 2016, 2:18 pm

From Purdue Scholar Lamarcus Hall:

How many times have we heard of students being pushed over from adviser to adviser? How many times have student been pushed to the side when faculty never gave the needed to time to assist? We never get the chance to talk to faculty and students who have experienced this. How do you make progress through your doctoral program when committee members are feuding?
Shaywanna Harris
University of Central Florida

Re: October Research Discussion

Postby Georgette Jacobs » October 16th, 2016, 11:51 pm

Lamarcus,

That is a situation that is horrible and I would not wish anyone to go through that. I would search for someone that is a neutral party that can be a consistent chair. The Chair is the boss. If you believe you are still being held back because everyone is discordant, I would ask for some assistance from the Dean. You just want to get through the program as quickly as possible.
Georgette Jacobs
University of Houston

Return to Holmes Scholars

• In total there are 2 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 2 guests (based on users active over the past 5 minutes)
  • Most users ever online was 175 on April 24th, 2014, 1:58 pm