Welcome !

Search Community

Holmes Scholars

Qualitative Data Analysis

Moderator: Ms. Whitney P. Watkins

Qualitative Data Analysis

Postby Shaywanna Harris » August 31st, 2016, 12:50 pm

This month, we thought it would be nice to engage in discussion about qualitative data analysis. As we all know, qualitative research is often used in educational research and provides an opportunity for researchers to explore phenomena that has never been explored before. Qualitative research often answers questions surrounding the experiences of individuals or a group of individuals and underlying reasons or motivations for phenomena.

What have been your personal experiences with qualitative research?

What type of qualitative analysis method are you using (or have used) to analyze your qualitative data?

Do you have any experience using data analysis software (such as NVIVO) to help analyze?
If so, what has that been like? How are your themes emerging and what have you had to troubleshoot during analysis?

Please share your experiences and connect with other Holmes Scholars, let's learn from one another!
Shaywanna Harris
University of Central Florida

Re: Qualitative Data Analysis

Postby Georgette Jacobs » September 16th, 2016, 1:25 pm

Good afternoon,
My name is Georgette Jacobs from University of Houston and I am conducting a focus group for my candidacy project.

I am currently gathering my focus group protocol and creating a home literacy measure for my families. I will be learning to use NVIVO 11 software and I hope that works out for me!

My advisor has made a suggestion for reading learning more about qualitative methods. He suggested Creswell, J. W. (2013). Qualitative inquiry and research design: Choosing among five approaches. Sage.

Any suggestions? Can anyone provide some foresight on planning/troubleshooting data collection and analysis issues?
Georgette Jacobs
University of Houston

Postby Shaywanna Harris » September 17th, 2016, 1:23 pm

Hey Georgette! I have some experience with qualitative research but I have yet to use NVIVO. I will say that Creswell's book is awesome, my professor used it in my qualitative class and it was very helpful. I've also heard that Moustakas' book is good for phenomenological research. Check it out: https://www.amazon.com/Phenomenological ... /080395799
Shaywanna Harris
University of Central Florida

Postby Georgette Jacobs » September 18th, 2016, 5:09 pm

Shay,

Thank you for the textbook referrals, I know they will come in handy during defense!
Georgette Jacobs
University of Houston

Return to Holmes Scholars

• In total there are 3 users online :: 1 registered, 0 hidden and 2 guests (based on users active over the past 5 minutes)
  • Most users ever online was 175 on April 24th, 2014, 1:58 pm